Saturday, January 26, 2008

STUDENT'S EXAMPLE:

Billy Johnson, 5th Period, Group #3

RDA for a male 14-18 years old:

3152 calories, 3.3 liters of water, 130 grams of carbs, 38 grams of fiber & 52 grams of protein.
-Source: National Academies of Sciences

For fun I did a dietary analysis of myself yesterday to see how closely I followed these guidelines. I found that I didn't have problems with filling the calories, but it was hard to fit more nutrient-dense foods like broccoli, whole grains and apples to fill all of the RDAs for niacin, thiamine, vitamin C and iron, etc. I found a table on USDA.org that showed examples of nutrient-dense foods as well as less nutrient-dense foods that would be really nice to put into our PowerPoint project.

I found some statistics on MyPyramid.gov that describe a healthy diet as one that
-Emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products;
-Includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts; and
-Is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars.

I think that if we first list the RDAs in the first couple slides, then show some cool statistics on what the average American eats and then show what a healthy diet looks like and how they can work towards having one it would make an interesting and good project. Let me know what you think. See you tomorrow in class guys.

2 comments:

Janae said...

That sounds good to me. I also found some statistics on USDA.gov that show specific areas of the diet that Americans are lacking in, such as in whole grains (fiber) and vegetables (vitamins and B vitamins, etc.). That means that I could do some of the slides in the middle on the normal American diet with pictures of distorted portion sizes (which leads to the consumption of a lot of fat,sodium and saturated fat and the underconsumption of vegetables, fruits and whole grains) to help show how we need to change ourAmerican diet for the better. I will bring the links to class tomorrow. Everything is looking good Billy!! -Sarah Quick

Noel said...

testing...